Sunday 21 December 2008

Bow Ties

I have fond memories of making these little treats with my Mother and my Polish Grandmother. They are called Chrusciki in Polish. Martha Stewart made these delicious treats on her show but here is my simple version the way the women of my family have made it. I usually make this Polish cookie at the same time as I make the Swedish Rosettes so that I can get the fried items done at once.

Bow Ties

4 egg yolks
1 whole egg

1/4 c. sugar
2 Tb butter
1 Tb brandy
1 1/2 c. flour

I just mix the first 5 ingredients up and then add enough flour to make a still dough and then roll out the dough dusting the surface with part of the flour. Cut it into narrow strips. In the center of each strip you will have to cut a second little slit. You take one end and pull it through the hole and it make a look like a knot. Deep fry until golden and crispy. Dust lightly with icing sugar while still hot. They keep well at room temperature but are really subject to humidity so I usually put them in a cookie tin with a few layers of paper towel.

The next question is What do I do with those left over egg whites??

No comments: