Tuesday 17 November 2009

And On Goes the Planning

Open House?

This week my assignment was to decide one way or other if I was going to have an open house buffet this year or not.
St Lucia Day, a Scandinavian celebration we like to celebrate, occurs on Dec 13th and this year it is on a Sunday. We thought how easy it would be to make up a smorgasbord on that day for an open house. Last year I tried to have an open house and we needed to cancel near the last minute as I was just not well enough to pull it off. This year I am doing a lot better, but am I doing well enough to throw a party?

My mentor Teresa and I talked about the various issues and how to make decisions. Most important is to actually make a decision so we agreed I would decide by the end of this week and stick with it. The indecision is hard so just get it over with.

First I am supposed to make up a very rough menu/ shopping list to get a realistic idea of what I am getting into for work and expense. Having it all listed and organized will come in handy some other time if I don't use it now.

What else would need to be done for me to feel comfortable?
Holiday decorations all finished and up
Scandinavian baking to be done
guest list and how many to invite
how to do invitations
plan how to keep rested and keep my energy up

Now that we have basically organized a whole party what next? She said to make a pro and con list. I am apparently a very visual person and she believes seeing my thoughts graphically organized on paper will help me make a good decision. I asked the girls and Bob what they thought about having a party. Bob is willing to do what ever I want. The girls are quite ambiguous about it. It sounds like a lot of work to them. Elizabeth will not be able to attend because of work, but she was kind enough to offer her house for the party. It is a much better party space than our house and it is almost always picture perfect, but it just wouldn't be the same without her there.

I am still working on the decision.

No comments: